Welcome
Welcome to spanishhelp

ATTENTION! PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU SIGN UP!!!
WARNING: this site's legitimate sign-up process does NOT ask you for any personal information, such as phone numbers, ID numbers, or bank accounts! It only has 5 mandatory fields. Do not be fooled by malicious ads that may pose as this forum's signup page!! DO NOT GIVE YOUR CELL NUMBER OR ANY OTHER PERSONAL INFORMATION!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

ATTENTION! PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU SIGN UP!!!
WARNING: this site's legitimate sign-up process does NOT ask you for any personal information, such as phone numbers, ID numbers, or bank accounts! It only has 5 mandatory fields. Do not be fooled by malicious ads that may pose as this forum's signup page!! DO NOT GIVE YOUR CELL NUMBER OR ANY OTHER PERSONAL INFORMATION!

RSS feeds on spanishhelp

Forum rules
About Questions and Feedback - Sobre Preguntas y Comentarios

This is a place to ask questions about how to do and find things on SpanishHelp. Please give us feedback!
Note: This is not a discussion area, so users may not comment other user's posts without a moderator's approval.
Aquí puedes hacer preguntas sobre qué hacer y cómo encontrar cosas en SpanishHelp. ¡Escríbenos tus comentarios!
Nota: Esta no es un área de discusiones, por lo que los usuarios no pueden comentar publicaciones de otros usuarios sin aprobación de un moderador.

Rules:
*Keep the language family-friendly. No profane, lewd, or obscene language or photos.
*Please use correct capitalization, grammar, spelling, and punctuation. We are a language site.
*Be detailed. Include the topic clearly in the title. Provide context for the question.
*Be nice. Treat everyone on the forum with respect
*Harassment will not be tolerated. Anyone who persists in harassing a member after one warning will be permanently banned from this forum.
Click here to read the full Rules and Policies Text

RSS feeds on spanishhelp

Postby jbionic » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:38 am

I am just curious about rss feeds for spanishhelp.
Perhaps I just got used to reading this way, which I find a more convenient way to monitor interesting threads and developments on forums without having to logon each time. In particular, this is the way how I keep my eye on posts from Centro Virtual Cervantes.
Will this be available for spanishhelp any time soon?
jbionic
Veteran
Veteran

Have thanks: 112 time
native_language: Russian
English Proficiency: 3
Spanish Proficiency: 1

Re: RSS feeds on spanishhelp

Postby qfreed » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:20 pm

If you google RSS feeds and freeforum.org you will see several interesting articles on the subject ranging from they are not possible on high volume traffic sites, they have been used and then dropped, to they can be custom created in the ACP and will appear on the Forum Toolbar. All of the articles that I skimmed were several years old and may no longer be relevant to changes on phbBB3 sites.

Have you tried subscribing to the Topics that you are interested in following? Adding them to you favorites? Not the same as an RSS feed, but useful.

Freeforums.org has a community help web page where you might get better answers to your question. I can tell you that our Spanishhelp board/forum has never created a custom RSS feed for our site (if it is possible to do so). Maybe some of our more technically skilled administrators will chime in on the subject.
qfreed
VIP Member

Have thanks: 11806 time
native_language: English
English Proficiency: 4
Spanish Proficiency: 3

Postby jbionic » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:27 pm

qfreed wrote:Have you tried subscribing to the Topics that you are interested in following? Adding them to you favorites? Not the same as an RSS feed, but useful.

I am not looking for a way to subscribe to the threads that I open myself.
What I am looking for is the way to monitor new discussions in the Vocabulary & Grammar branch by thread names and without having to logon to the forum every time.
Quite interestingly, even forum.wordreference.com has RSS, which, of course, has higher traffic / attendance number
jbionic
Veteran
Veteran

Postby qfreed » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:36 pm

Quite interestingly, even forum.wordreference.com has RSS, which, of course, has higher traffic / attendance number

The point that I was trying to make is that if you read past articles on the subject, you will find answers ranging from a simple "no, they are not possible" to "yes, you just need to create a custom one for your specific message board."

In other words, reading past article concerning the subject isn't really going to give you a relevant answer to your question. And I understand the advantages of having an RSS feed.
qfreed
VIP Member

Postby jbionic » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:52 pm

I think this needs to be done by administrators as they are the only ones who can make changes on the server side.
If I try to add spanishhelp to feedly app, it will clearly fail to do so.
Although I am not sure if it is possible in principle for a forum that is hosted in third-level domain on freeforums.org
In general, the procedure of creating RSS feeds for a website seems to be not difficult:
http://www.2createawebsite.com/traffic/ ... feeds.html

But the benefit of having RSS feeds on the forum seems quite clear. That might help to facilitate participance not only for ordinary users, but for moderators too. The whole idea behind this request is to provide a way to monitor other people's postings
jbionic
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Heidita » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:02 pm

HI Ibonic, I don't really understand what you are saying, but please contact either or both quentin and Pesta, they are both admins, or have the functions .
I appreciate all English corrections, especially on style! :)
Best movies: http://forum.tvfreeload.org/
Heidita
Shogun
Shogun

Have thanks: 13128 time
native_language: SPANISH
Spanish Proficiency: 4

Postby qfreed » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:13 pm

I've read some more articles on Freeforum.org and RSS feeds. According to them, you would have to have FTP capability to have RSS feeds which would require you to switch to Advanced Hosting. While SpanishHelp is a Premium site (we pay annually for access to a few special mods) with FreeForums.org (our Host), we are not subscribed to Advanced Hosting (it is hosted by a different company (but related) than FreeForums.org. But, again, these articles are older and I don't know the current requirements for accessing a RSS feed mod. We would probably have to post a question to the Freeforums Support forum to get a relevant, up to date answer, but I will not do that before the other administrators chime in. They may not want to add RSS feeds, even if we can. (just like they chose not to use email features which are available to us at no additional costs). This is not a public website although it is accessible to guests. It belongs to Guillermo (the site's owner and author). He has final say on any changes. If he ok's researching the matter, I would be willing to look into it further.

qfreed has been thanked by:
qfreed
VIP Member

Postby Pesta » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:18 pm

You might start by reviewing this page,

http://spanishhelp.freeforums.org/feed.php

Perhaps RSS will work, somehow, as the admin panels have EVERTHING enabled.
Pesta
Mod
Mod

Have thanks: 14358 time
Spanish Proficiency: 2

Postby jbionic » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:34 pm

Pesta wrote:You might start by reviewing this page,

http://spanishhelp.freeforums.org/feed.php

Perhaps RSS will work, somehow, as the admin panels have EVERTHING enabled.

The only problem I see with this is that it basically captures the activity on the whole forum, not just 1 branch of it. But also it keeps updating the RSS timeline every time someone replies to the older threads, so this makes the RSS feed a bit redundant as there are multiple entries related to the same thread from the forum - I dont find this particularly convenient, I'd rather prefer seeing one single entry in the RSS feed for every thread that is created on the forum.
Last edited by jbionic on Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jbionic
Veteran
Veteran

Postby jbionic » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:00 pm

qfreed wrote:This is not a public website although it is accessible to guests.

That's another interesting point you've brought up, because I've just realized I dont remember how I got here :)

But actually I like the fact this forum is not over-populated yet, so people tend to be more responsive and polite. It is not like a high traffic forum, where moderators seem to hate every newbie who comes in and dares to open its mouth to ask smth that has been asked 100 times before and therefore stupid and boring. Although many forums tend to become like this after a while :)
jbionic
Veteran
Veteran

Postby qfreed » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:44 pm

Pesta,

I don't know why, but every time that I click on your link, I get the XML coding of the current page. It doesn't take me anywhere. (Oh, I see...that was a Feed). But I assume that it was supposed to show me the RSS Feed mod configuration in the ACP. Thanks for making me aware of it. I had looked for it, but couldn't find it. (my page being in Spanish didn't help.)

I would assume that since we can configure (and enable) the module, that we must have it (and Freeforums supports it). If so, we just merely have to find out how to access and use it. There must be a link to it somewhere. I'll keep researching.
I'm hoping that our disabling of email or attachments or something similar isn't overriding the module.
qfreed
VIP Member

Postby qfreed » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:51 pm

Pesta,

Odd, but I don't see any mention of this Feed module in our list of available modules....

qfreed
VIP Member

Postby Pesta » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:12 pm

qfreed wrote:Pesta,

I don't know why, but every time that I click on your link, I get the XML coding of the current page.

Funny, in FireFox and Internet Exporer, I get a regular page rendering, while in Chrome, I see just XML like you say.
Here's what I see in IE:

Pesta
Mod
Mod

Have thanks: 14358 time
Spanish Proficiency: 2

Postby qfreed » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:15 pm

This is what I expect to see if the RSS Feeds module is working on our site. An RSS icon on each Topic.

qfreed has been thanked by:
qfreed
VIP Member

Postby qfreed » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:30 pm

Pesta,
Thank you for the page rendering. That seems to answer the question. We do indeed have RSS feeds available (whether they are in a helpful format or not). I was looking for the usual RSS icon, not the one used.

By the way, I couldn't see that page using Windows 10's Edge browser either. It must be because I use the Google search engine (rather than Bing) with that browser also.
qfreed
VIP Member

Next

Return to Questions and Feedback / Preguntas y Comentarios