Welcome
Welcome to spanishhelp

ATTENTION! PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU SIGN UP!!!
WARNING: this site's legitimate sign-up process does NOT ask you for any personal information, such as phone numbers, ID numbers, or bank accounts! It only has 5 mandatory fields. Do not be fooled by malicious ads that may pose as this forum's signup page!! DO NOT GIVE YOUR CELL NUMBER OR ANY OTHER PERSONAL INFORMATION!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

ATTENTION! PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU SIGN UP!!!
WARNING: this site's legitimate sign-up process does NOT ask you for any personal information, such as phone numbers, ID numbers, or bank accounts! It only has 5 mandatory fields. Do not be fooled by malicious ads that may pose as this forum's signup page!! DO NOT GIVE YOUR CELL NUMBER OR ANY OTHER PERSONAL INFORMATION!

centenar/millar/montón

Forum rules

About Vocabulary & Grammar - Sobre Vocabulario y Gramática

Ask questions about vocabulary or grammar.
Haz preguntas sobre vocabulario y gramática.

Rules and Policies/Reglas y Políticas

centenar/millar/montón

Postby saffron » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:40 pm

I saw the phrases ' un centenar de personas' and 'el millar de personas' in an article about people showering their praises on Carme Chacón whose body had been brought from Madrid to her home town in Catalonia. Even though it is obvious that centenar is linked to cien and millar to mil, I got the impression both words were used to mean there were a lot of people.

Are they used interchangeably with montón?

Here is the article

http://ccaa.elpais.com/ccaa/2017/04/12/catalunya/1492005380_146125.html
corrections welcomed to my Spanish or English
saffron
Royalty
Royalty

Have thanks: 3933 time
native_language: British English
English Proficiency: 4
Spanish Proficiency: 2

Re: centenar/millar/montón

Postby qfreed » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:40 pm

In can be used in both senses, literally (hundred/thousand) and figuratively (like saying there was " a ton" of something). Has little to do with actual weight, it just means that there was a lot of it.

From the DRAE:

DRAE wrote:centenar:
a centenares
1. loc. adv. U. para ponderar la abundancia de algo.

DRAE wrote:millar
2. m. Número grande indeterminado. U. m. en pl.

Unas mil personas here sounds more like around 1000 people.
Likewise when they put a number if front of it...un centenar de personas...it sounds like around a hundred people... el millar de personas..I got the impression that they were talking about a crowd of around 1,000 and in a line of about 100 and not using it to just mean a large crowd or a long line, but either is possible.

qfreed has been thanked by:
qfreed
VIP Member

Have thanks: 11730 time
native_language: English
Spanish Proficiency: 3

Re: centenar/millar/montón

Postby Heidita » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:09 am

She was widely respected and I was really shocked to suddenly see she died.

Millar here is not really a thousand, quentin, they say a thousand, but did they count? I don't think so.

Millar normally is a big crowd or big amount. Like centenar...not really ever an exact 100.

anyway, montón is very often used, but it is very colloquial and would be very inappropriate in this news.
I appreciate all English corrections, especially on style! :)
Best movies: http://forum.tvfreeload.org/

Heidita has been thanked by:
Heidita
Shogun
Shogun

Have thanks: 13074 time
native_language: SPANISH
Spanish Proficiency: 4

Return to Vocabulary & Grammar / Vocabulario y Gramática