Welcome
Welcome to spanishhelp

ATTENTION! PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU SIGN UP!!!
WARNING: this site's legitimate sign-up process does NOT ask you for any personal information, such as phone numbers, ID numbers, or bank accounts! It only has 5 mandatory fields. Do not be fooled by malicious ads that may pose as this forum's signup page!! DO NOT GIVE YOUR CELL NUMBER OR ANY OTHER PERSONAL INFORMATION!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

ATTENTION! PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU SIGN UP!!!
WARNING: this site's legitimate sign-up process does NOT ask you for any personal information, such as phone numbers, ID numbers, or bank accounts! It only has 5 mandatory fields. Do not be fooled by malicious ads that may pose as this forum's signup page!! DO NOT GIVE YOUR CELL NUMBER OR ANY OTHER PERSONAL INFORMATION!

Urgent help needed!

Forum rules
General discussions should be used for what should be seen or discussed by the General Community.
A joke, "we like this or that song", a good book to share, "I don't like this or that"..all these kind of posts should be placed either in The International Café or The Encouragement Island

We invite you to open threads for:
1) Congratulations, birthdays and achievements.
2) General interest threads: nature disasters, current topics of discussion, news, in short, general interest issues, rather than personal concerns.
3) A member needs extra support (remember there is always The Island ), he is sick, some kind of important family issue...
Anything else: GO TO THE CAFÉ OR THE ISLAND

Also please remember that you can share personal concerns with your friends via the Chat feature (upper menu bar of the Forum page), or via PM!

Click Here to Read the Forum's General Rules

Urgent help needed!

Postby Lovely_Lovely » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:03 pm

Hello guys!

Long time no see, l know >_< l've missed all of you!!

I urgently need help for a research l'm doing for college, l need you guys to answer the following questions ASAP

1) Have you ever seen an Egyptian or visited Egypt ?

2) What comes to your mind when you first hear the word Egypt or Egyptian, and is there a stereotype?!

3) How was this image built up in your mind? can you change it one day?!

4) What would you feel when if you knew that you had to work on a project with an Egyptian young man?!

5) Describe Egyptian people with 3 characteristics.

Id seriously appreciate the help guys! l'm kindda running out of time and participants!
Mention your nationality, please!
You can always send me a PM with your answers!

Thank you!

Please feel free to correct any of my mistakes, Thank you!

Lovely_Lovely has been thanked by:
Lovely_Lovely
Royalty
Royalty

Have thanks: 3258 time
native_language: Moonian
English Proficiency: 3
Spanish Proficiency: 1

Re: Urgent help needed!

Postby Heidita » Sun May 01, 2016 5:58 am

Lovely_Lovely wrote:Hello guys!

Long time no see, l know >_< l've missed all of you!!
So have we, :yes :yes

I urgently need help for a research l'm doing for college, l need you guys to answer the following questions ASAP

Always there for you, sweetie...I will also give the question to my friends on skype...

Yes, I have. I have been to Egypt three times, once to visit monuments, twice to dive.

2) What comes to your mind when you first hear the word Egypt or Egyptian, and is there a stereotype?!

Egypt: pyramids, sphinx, Pyramid of Sakara...(the most impressive in my opinion :yes ) temples, Karnak, Luxor, the nile, loooooooots of people, overpopulated Cairo,
Egyptian: very friendly, loud, generous, tall, good-looking, dark skinned and dark hair
(this does not apply to my diving experience in Sharm, those were a bunch of cretins :evil: )

Well, in my case I was there three times, so I don't think I would think otherwise in one day.

4) What would you feel when if you knew that you had to work on a project with an Egyptian young man?!

I would be overdelighted :D :D

really friendly, very generous, brave

I hope you get a lot of answers, amiga :sol :sol
I appreciate all English corrections, especially on style! :)
Best movies: http://forum.tvfreeload.org/

Heidita has been thanked by:
Heidita
Shogun
Shogun

Have thanks: 13074 time
native_language: SPANISH
English Proficiency: 4
Spanish Proficiency: 4

Postby Heidita » Sun May 01, 2016 6:05 am

This is a Spanish friend of mine:

Yes

jeroglifico, la gente de lado (imagen en las tumbas 8-) ) pirámides, nilo, valle de los Reyes

no la cambiaría en un día; antes de visitar Egipto, por libros y la tele

Tendría mucho miedo, porque son insoportables (this guy has been diving with me....those , trust me, are really unbearable)

Chica (es decir, lovely): guapa, encantadora, educada
egipcios en general: insoportables, morenos, mediterraneos

Thank you!

Siempre a tu servicio :friends:
I appreciate all English corrections, especially on style! :)
Best movies: http://forum.tvfreeload.org/

Heidita has been thanked by:
Heidita
Shogun
Shogun

Have thanks: 13074 time
native_language: SPANISH
Spanish Proficiency: 4

Postby Lovely_Lovely » Sun May 01, 2016 6:49 am

Muchísimas gracias guapa!! te lo agradezco :love: :love: :love: :abrazo

Lovely_Lovely has been thanked by:
Lovely_Lovely
Royalty
Royalty

Postby harry-trow » Sun May 01, 2016 6:05 pm

Yes have met an Egyptian in India
National youth coach also my doctor was
I don't have any stereotype of Egyptians
Egyptians will have the same make up through their population as other countries I would imagine
Some good some bad and a whole lot inbetween
I think I may have a stereotype of them being kind and honourable but that may just be to the Britsh which I am but they may be totally opposite to other nationalise
People are people Geidita which is what I have found in my travelling

Good to see you, Harry :sol :buzo5

Thank you for your help!  

harry-trow has been thanked by:
harry-trow
Experienced
Experienced

Have thanks: 72 time
native_language: english
Spanish Proficiency: 2

Postby BadazBrad » Sun May 01, 2016 6:40 pm

Hi Lovely!! United States, State Of Florida:
1) I've never met in person, but have chatted with you Lovely!! Sooo sad, I haver never been to Egypt!! :'(:'(
2)The Ten Commandments!! (The movie) I don't know what I woud stereotype!! :'(:'(
3)I have a "Hollywood" vision of Egypt, ya know, Hebrews led from Goshen, Mount Sinai!
4)I would feel no different workin' with an egyptian, cabinet makers ya know!!
5) I think of camels, the Nile river god, and a lot of sand!! jeje, hope this helps Lovely!!

Great! thank you so much!  

BadazBrad has been thanked by:
BadazBrad

Have thanks: 35 time
native_language: English

Postby Terri » Sun May 01, 2016 6:49 pm

My oh so parochial answer:

Never been to Egypt, but I've met several Egyptians during my lifetime.

Only stereotypes: e.g. pyramids, hieroglyphics, Nile, etc.

Almost no exposure except National Geographic and movies. Visiting Egypt would definitely change my mental image!

Uncomfortable.

Acclimated to really hot weather; (2) dark hair; and (3) living among political turmoil.

Terri! so good to hear from you once more!! thank you so much! we've missed you btw ^^  
Please edit my post to correct any errors or mistakes. [Por favor, edite mi post para corregir cualquier error de ortografía u otras equivocaciones.]

Terri has been thanked by:
Terri
Veteran
Veteran

Have thanks: 518 time

Postby Yesero (Gary) » Sun May 01, 2016 6:54 pm

Ah Lovelita it has been such a long time. Hope you are doing well! @-`-

1) Have you ever seen an Egyptian or visited Egypt ? Yes and no, (never been there)
2) What comes to your mind when you first hear the word Egypt or Egyptian, and is there a stereotype?! Pyramids! - I suppose that would be considered stereotypical
3) How was this image built up in your mind? can you change it one day?! History class in school and not likely to change.
4) What would you feel when if you knew that you had to work on a project with an Egyptian young man?! I would only hope that he speaks English or very slow Spanish.
5) Describe Egyptian people with 3 characteristics. (Women-beautiful, dark hair, intelligent)

l'm doing great Gary! l hope you're doing well too ;D  
Please feel free to make any corrections to my posts in Spanish or even in my English. No one is perfect.

Yesero (Gary) has been thanked by:
Yesero (Gary)
Royalty
Royalty

Have thanks: 5701 time

Postby Patch » Sun May 01, 2016 7:35 pm

Hi Lovely, nice to see you. I hope you're doing fine :)

I don't think I've ever met an Egyptian before or maybe I have but didn't know it. The things that I associate with Egypt are the usual stereotypes I suppose...The Nile, Sphinx, Pyramids. I would say the average Brit knows about the same. I vaguely recall hearing about some shootings that happened there but that was years ago.

Omar Sharif is the only Egyptian guy that springs to mind. I believe he was quite popular with the ladies.

I'd be happy to work with someone from Egypt. I would want to know about his culture, customs and especially his language because that interests me

I wish I could be of more help but that's all I can think of.

See you soon! @-`-

Patchyyy, l've missed you so much! so good to hear from you again!  
Ey up mi duck!

Patch has been thanked by:
Patch
Veteran
Veteran

Have thanks: 944 time
native_language: English (British)

Postby Lovely_Lovely » Sun May 01, 2016 7:36 pm

Thank you soooo much harry-trow, BadazBrad, Terri, Gary and Patch!!!!!

I really appreciate all the help guys! you're a life-saver!!! :love: :love: :thankyou

Lovely_Lovely
Royalty
Royalty

Postby Goyo » Sun May 01, 2016 9:36 pm

Lovely_Lovely wrote:Hello guys!

Hi Lovely! I miss you!!

Here are my answers:

1: I've never visited Egypt. I'm sure I've seen Egyptians before in person, if nothing else in an airport. But I remember seeing many pictures of former Egyptian president Anwar Sadat, and of coursethe 21 Coptic Christians who were beheaded by Muslims in Libya in 2015. The Copts are a Christian sect in Egypt, so all 21 of those men were Egyptian.

2. I think of it as a hot and arid country that is mostly desert. I'm sure the whole country isn't that way, but that's what comes to mind.

This image was built in my mind from pictures of the pyramids, and my knowledge of the preservation of the early scrolls of the New Testament. The scriptorium in Alexandria was a major source of the literature for the world, and the Bible would have been copied there. Many copies found there way to the Egyptian desert where they were preserved for centuries.

3. My impression of Egypt could easily be changed in a day if I saw photos or read about the climate in other areas, perhaps around the Nile or the Mediterranean.

4. I'd be excited and want to know what he was like.

5. They have dark skin, dark hair, and tend to be thin.

Oh you've got the totally wrong three characteristics my friend XDD thank you goyo *-*  

Goyo has been thanked by:
Goyo
Royalty
Royalty

Have thanks: 10225 time
native_language: English / inglés

Postby Jennyo45 » Mon May 02, 2016 12:51 am

H Lovely how nice to hear from you once again..

Here are my opinions of Egypt as requested..

1/ I have never been to Egypt ,I have never seen an egyptian person apart from the movies..

2/ when I hear the word Egypt I think of mummies ,the pyramids camels and the dessert.an arid place.Unrest and dissatisfaction.

3/ thse images have been formed by watching movies until lately from the media.I could change it in a day if I heard something uplifting about the country and saw images other than those depicting death and destruction ,unrest and political disharmony.
4/ Not sure that I would feel anyhing really unless he had a beard..

5/ Dark skinned arrogant men ,beautiful women with long black,hair but covered up wih a hajib. Flowing robes..

we're not like those u see in Australia Jenny ;D not all of us at least ;D thank you for your help <3  
never say die  

Jennyo45 has been thanked by:
Jennyo45
Royalty
Royalty

Have thanks: 11461 time

Postby Billygoat » Mon May 02, 2016 3:19 am

A1. I've never been to Egypt but used to work with some Egyptian colleagues who were seconded to our office in England.

A2. Red hats with tassels....tombs, pyramids, desert, mummy

A3. Biblical historical tv programmes and books. Unfortunately the troubles in North Africa and the Middle East have changed it. ISIS (or whatever they are called these days) have changed my views on people from that whole region for ever! I now think...how horrible and terrible life must be all around there.

A4. Never ever again! I have actually done this, and we had to constantly check and fix their work. Unfortunately our company had political (and no doubt financial) obligations/interests to maintain relationships with our partners in the developing world (we also had people in Brazil, India, China and other places).

A5. Very difficult to say, of course some will be good, some bad and some indifferent.]

l might actually agree with you in the project thingy :'D thank you Billy  
I welcome corrections to my Spanish at any time! Thank you so much.

Billygoat
Royalty
Royalty

Have thanks: 6064 time
native_language: English (British)

Postby saffron » Mon May 02, 2016 6:16 am

I am from the UK.

I assume I must have seen some Egyptians when as a child I saw the fabulous Tutankhamen exhibition in London. I had a minor operation a few years ago and my surgeon was Egyptian. I believe a barrister I knew was from Egypt but have never asked him. In 1994 I flew to Cairo spent a few days in Cairo before travelling to Sinai and taking a ferry from Sinai to Aquaba [Jordan]

I don't remember - I know my father talked about going through the Suez canal and I have positive memories of the treasures in the exhibition and seeing the Sphinx in London. Obviously camels and the pyramids and sand come to mind, but also political upheaval

My views have changed. Over a lifetime I have watched news items and built up a picture of richness and poverty, wars and dictatorship and from my visit heat, overpopulation and chaos. The lack of democracy and crushing of the people in Tahrir Square have made me reluctant to return even though I always intended to go back see the Pyramids and go on a Nile cruise. The evening I arrived in Cairo the noise and people were overwhelming. I remember within minutes our small coach had a puncture and they tied a rag round it and continued. However, there was a buzz about the place. Our hotel staff were charming and helpful. I loved the street food and enjoyed staying at the St Catherine's monastery and climbing Mount Sinai to watch the sunrise. I recently saw a cookery programme on TV where a British chef started in Cairo and ended up in Aswan with a Nubian family. It was a beautiful programme with an insight into the varied landscape and culture with a gentle welcoming family at the end. I only visited a small part of Egypt. Political troubles or a government that is not democratic does not mean I will not visit a country. I feel very sorry for people who work hard and rely on tourism when it evaporates. I may return but there are other countries I want to visit first. To be honest I had a more enjoyable time in Jordan.

I would like to know more about Egypt. I would hope he spoke reasonable English and culturally didn't have a problem working with a woman.
How can you describe a whole race? My Doctor was polite well groomed but arrogant. Resourceful, chaotic and charming

That was very intresting! thank you!!  
corrections welcomed to my Spanish or English

saffron has been thanked by:
saffron
Royalty
Royalty

Have thanks: 3933 time
native_language: British English

Postby lazarus1907 » Mon May 02, 2016 9:28 am

No.
First thing that comes to mind is the location of Egypt on a map. If I think further, I suppose pyramids and Islam will pop up soon enough. I try to refrain from stereotyping too much.
The image I have from Egyptians comes from seeing them in videos and on TV. I don't think I can change it in one day.
It depends on the project and the man, I guess, but I rather not deal with a Muslim if I can avoid it.
I can only comment on their looks: dark-skinned, curly hair, hijabs.

Lazarus long time no see! thank you for your response!  

lazarus1907
Master Instructor
Master Instructor

Have thanks: 3082 time

Next

Return to General Discussions / Discusiones Generales