Welcome
Welcome to spanishhelp

ATTENTION! PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU SIGN UP!!!
WARNING: this site's legitimate sign-up process does NOT ask you for any personal information, such as phone numbers, ID numbers, or bank accounts! It only has 5 mandatory fields. Do not be fooled by malicious ads that may pose as this forum's signup page!! DO NOT GIVE YOUR CELL NUMBER OR ANY OTHER PERSONAL INFORMATION!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

ATTENTION! PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU SIGN UP!!!
WARNING: this site's legitimate sign-up process does NOT ask you for any personal information, such as phone numbers, ID numbers, or bank accounts! It only has 5 mandatory fields. Do not be fooled by malicious ads that may pose as this forum's signup page!! DO NOT GIVE YOUR CELL NUMBER OR ANY OTHER PERSONAL INFORMATION!

Books for Valentine's Day

Forum rules
General discussions should be used for what should be seen or discussed by the General Community.
A joke, "we like this or that song", a good book to share, "I don't like this or that"..all these kind of posts should be placed either in The International Café or The Encouragement Island

We invite you to open threads for:
1) Congratulations, birthdays and achievements.
2) General interest threads: nature disasters, current topics of discussion, news, in short, general interest issues, rather than personal concerns.
3) A member needs extra support (remember there is always The Island ), he is sick, some kind of important family issue...
Anything else: GO TO THE CAFÉ OR THE ISLAND

Also please remember that you can share personal concerns with your friends via the Chat feature (upper menu bar of the Forum page), or via PM!

Click Here to Read the Forum's General Rules

Books for Valentine's Day

Postby saffron » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:48 pm

There seem to be some odd choices in this article. I am surprised how few books have been chosen which were originally written in Spanish. I am surprised at the Spanish title for Wuthering
Heights though it is a reasonable translation. Have you read many of them?

http://www.zendalibros.com/hablamos-cuando-hablamos-amor-libros-san-valentin/
corrections welcomed to my Spanish or English

saffron has been thanked by:
saffron
Royalty
Royalty

Have thanks: 3933 time
native_language: British English
English Proficiency: 4
Spanish Proficiency: 2

Re: Books for Valentine's Day

Postby qfreed » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:38 am

Let me check the shelves in my private library for my collection of Romance Novels. I know it is right alongside my collection of Chick Flicks. Hmm. I can't seem to find any. :shrug:

I never knew what Wuthering meant in that title. Thank you for piquing my curiosity.

Wuthering means blustery and turbulent, and often describes the fierce, noisy winds that blow across the moors. This word was used in northern England, where the novel by Emily Bronte Wuthering Heights was set.

Cumbres Borrascosas

borrascoso (a)
1. Stormy, boisterous, gusty, tempestuous.

In the feminine, plural that adjective almost looks like a compound noun...borras cosas (envision sandstorms/dust storms burying things).

qfreed has been thanked by:
qfreed
VIP Member

Have thanks: 11734 time
native_language: English
Spanish Proficiency: 3

Re: Books for Valentine's Day

Postby saffron » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:48 pm

I did the same as you Q, before I posted. Wuthering Heights was the name of a property and I had just assumed it was a place name. I looked up the Spanish words then decided to find out if 'Wuthering' had a meaning. It is probably used in Yorkshire, but I have never used it!
corrections welcomed to my Spanish or English

saffron has been thanked by:
saffron
Royalty
Royalty

Have thanks: 3933 time
native_language: British English
Spanish Proficiency: 2

Return to General Discussions / Discusiones Generales