Welcome
Welcome to spanishhelp

ATTENTION! PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU SIGN UP!!!
WARNING: this site's legitimate sign-up process does NOT ask you for any personal information, such as phone numbers, ID numbers, or bank accounts! It only has 5 mandatory fields. Do not be fooled by malicious ads that may pose as this forum's signup page!! DO NOT GIVE YOUR CELL NUMBER OR ANY OTHER PERSONAL INFORMATION!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

ATTENTION! PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU SIGN UP!!!
WARNING: this site's legitimate sign-up process does NOT ask you for any personal information, such as phone numbers, ID numbers, or bank accounts! It only has 5 mandatory fields. Do not be fooled by malicious ads that may pose as this forum's signup page!! DO NOT GIVE YOUR CELL NUMBER OR ANY OTHER PERSONAL INFORMATION!

What Tuesday is it for you?

Forum rules
General discussions should be used for what should be seen or discussed by the General Community.
A joke, "we like this or that song", a good book to share, "I don't like this or that"..all these kind of posts should be placed either in The International Café or The Encouragement Island

We invite you to open threads for:
1) Congratulations, birthdays and achievements.
2) General interest threads: nature disasters, current topics of discussion, news, in short, general interest issues, rather than personal concerns.
3) A member needs extra support (remember there is always The Island ), he is sick, some kind of important family issue...
Anything else: GO TO THE CAFÉ OR THE ISLAND

Also please remember that you can share personal concerns with your friends via the Chat feature (upper menu bar of the Forum page), or via PM!

Click Here to Read the Forum's General Rules

What Tuesday is it for you?

Postby qfreed » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:31 pm

Today is Tuesday, the day before Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent and the Mardi Gras (Carnestoltes) festival in New Orleans.

So, is it Shrove Tuesday (pancake Tuesday), Fat Tuesday, or Carnaval Tuesday for you?

I am sure that you are familiar with all the traditions (if not, Shrove Tuesday's purpose is to use up all the sugar and lard in the house (by making pancakes or malasadas) in preparation for Lent. Similarly, Fat Tuesday is your last chance to pig out before adopting whatever dietary restrictions you observe for Lent and Carnaval Tuesday is both your last chance to feast and to kick up your heels before entering the more solemn Lent season.

For me it is Tuesday, the day that I have to buy a lottery ticket for tonight's drawing.

What is this Tuesday to you?

qfreed has been thanked by:
qfreed
VIP Member

Have thanks: 11730 time
native_language: English
English Proficiency: 4
Spanish Proficiency: 3

Re: What Tuesday is it for you?

Postby saffron » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:39 am

I always think of 'shrove Tuesday' as a child in a Catholic household it was the last day of sweet eating before Lent began. We always had pancakes with lemon and sugar.

I still always make pancakes on shrove Tuesday even though I no longer attend mass on Ash Wednesday.

Shrove came via Latin and Germany for the act of forgiving sins shrive or shrove being the past tense. Giving short shrift comes from the same root.

Shrove Tuesday isn't mentioned as much now in the UK as many people are of no faith or a non christian faith. However, the tradition of pancake making today is firmly in place with shops full of lemons, new frying pans milk and eggs.

In my childhood the news always featured a broadcast from Olney [in Buckinghamshire] which always stages a pancake race for women. There are now other races in the UK, but this was first.

Here is an article suggesting the first participant was in the 1400s running late to the 'Shriving' service.

The article suggests an American city now has one too

http://www.olneyonline.com/A-Pancake-Race-History

corrections welcomed to my Spanish or English

saffron has been thanked by:
saffron
Royalty
Royalty

Have thanks: 3933 time
native_language: British English
English Proficiency: 4
Spanish Proficiency: 2

Return to General Discussions / Discusiones Generales